What is NVIDIA Shield TV?
The Nvidia Shield TV has established itself as a fantastic streaming video player for geeks in the last four years. Although it didn’t have the quality of an Apple TV, Fire TV, or Roku set, it offered a lot of cool features for users, such as the option to use it as a Plex server or — with a cheap dongle— a smart home hub
Today, Nvidia has upgraded Shield TV with a new design, a lower initial price, a much-improved controller, and a truly remarkable AI upscaling feature that sharpens HD videos on 4 K TVs. At a cost of $150, it’s still a pricey media streamer, but the additional features will make it worthwhile to non-nerds.
There are still some signs of the Shield’s inner geekiness. Having the most out of Shield TV needs some digging around menus, and Android TV’s fundamental tech continues to feel like ongoing work. Although it’s easier to sell to a wider audience than the old Shield was, it’s not a clear winner over other high-end streamers, including Apple TV 4 K, Fire TV Cube, and Roku Ultra. Read full Nvidia shield tv review 2021.
Nvidia Shield TV Features:
FAST, REAL FAST: The new improved NVIDIA Tegra X1 + chip makes SHIELD better than the previous generation by up to 25 percent.
DOLBY VISION·ATMOS: The combination of Dolby Vision HDR display with Dolby Atmos sound turns the television into an engine for entertainment.
A.I UPSCALING: Upgrade HD to 4 K video using AI technology. Crisper, smoother video upgraded to real-time 4 K resolution.
4K HDR: Everything in 4 K HDR. All your favorite shows are of the highest quality possible. Period.
The New Nvidia Shield TV Remote
The other big upgrade to the current Shield TV is the remote control. Gone is the unnecessarily thin profile of the previous Shield, which slid easily between couch cushions; instead, there is a triangular shape that is easy to grip and has some heft.
Perhaps better, Nvidia removed the old remote touch-sensitive volume control strip in favor of the physical power & volume controls, while also introducing specific forward & rewind keys. There’s also a programmable top button that can unlock applications, access the Settings menu, shut down the volume, turn on/off HD Upscaling, & more. Most users may have a concern with the large Netflix button at the bottom, but you can unofficially remap that one as well.
The Shield remote also features backlit buttons that have been there on cable remotes for years but have not yet transferred to streaming devices. You’re also going to find tiny raised ridges on remote play & microphone controls, so you can navigate your way without taking your eyes off the screen. This remote control’s interface is not perfect — I still haven’t got along with the vertical arrangement of Play / Pause, Fast Forward & Rewind Keys — However, it is still one of the best streaming remote controls I’ve ever used.
Nvidia Shield Tv & Nvidia Shield TV Pro Review: Which One to Buy?
Nvidia Shield Tv: A Compact & Modular Redesign
NVIDIA Shield Android TV | 4K HDR Streaming Media Player High Performance, Dolby Vision, Google Assistant Built-in, Works with Alexa
- Fast. Really Fast. The latest advanced NVIDIA Tegra X1+ processor delivers up to 25% faster performance than the previous generation. This makes SHIELD TV hands-down the world's most powerful Android TV streaming media player. HDMI 2.0b with HDCP 2.2 and CEC support
- Cinematic Experience. Bring your home theater to life with Dolby Vision HDR and Dolby Atmos surround sound-delivering ultra-vivid picture quality and immersive audio. Enhance HD video in real-time to 4K for clearer, crisper visuals using next-generation AI upscaling and the power of the NVIDIA Tegra X1+ processor.
- Unlimited Entertainment. Get the most 4K content of any streaming media player. Watch Netflix, Amazon Video, and Vudu in crisp 4K HDR, and YouTube, Hulu Live, Google Play Movies & TV, and more in 4K. With the most comprehensive selection of top music services of any streaming device, you can listen to any of your favorites, any time. Even stream from your phone with built-in Chromecast 4K.
- All-New Design. The new SHIELD TV is compact, stealth, and designed to disappear behind your entertainment center, right along with your cables. With Gigabit Ethernet, dual-band AC Wi-Fi, a built-in power supply, and a microSD card slot for storage expansion, it is powerful, feature-packed, and built for behind the scenes brilliance. The all-new remote is more advanced than ever with motion-activated, backlit buttons-including a user-customizable button. With voice control, Bluetooth, IR control for your TV, and a built-in lost remote locator, you have the most advanced remote yet.
- Voice Control. The built-in Google Assistant is at your command. See photos, live camera feeds, weather, sports scores, and more on the big screen. Dim the lights and immerse yourself in your favorite show or music using your voice. And control your SHIELD hands-free with Google Home or Alexa and Amazon Echo.
NVIDIA SHIELD TV is the ultimate streaming media player for the modern living room. Enjoy a cinematic experience with the highest quality 4K HDR entertainment, thousands of apps, thousands of games, and the Google Assistant built in. SHIELD TV is a high performance streaming media player, now up to 25% faster with the new Tegra X1+ processor. Enjoy Netflix, Prime Video, and Vudu in stunning 4K with Dolby Vision HDR and Dolby Atmos and Dolby Digital Plus surround sound. Upscale HD video to 4K in real-time using the power of AI and the Tegra X1+ processor. Cut the cord with apps like YouTube TV, Hulu Live TV, Sling TV, and PlayStation Vue. Cast your favorite apps to your TV with Chromecast 4K built-in. Use the built in Google Assistant to see results on your TV, control playback on your favorite shows, share your photos, see your Nest cam, display your calendar, check the traffic, play the latest songs, dim the lights, and so much more, all with your voice. Control SHIELD hands-free with Alexa and Echo or with Google Home. The all-new SHIELD remote is more advanced than ever with motion-activated backlit buttons, voice control, Bluetooth control, an IR blaster to control your TV, buttons for power, volume, fast-forward, rewind, play/pause, plus a user-customizable button. Plus, never lose your remote with a built-in remote locator. Connect a game controller (sold separately) for access to AAA gaming with GeForce NOW, NVIDIA’s engineering breakthrough in cloud gaming. Instantly transform your SHIELD TV into a GeForce-powered PC gaming rig. With hundreds of supported titles and features like cloud saves and cross-play on laptops and desktops, you can pick up a game from wherever you left off. Level up to SHIELD TV and never look back.
- Ingenious, modular design
- Fantastic Updated Remote Control
- Remains the best experience of Android TV
- Enhanced AI Upgrade is fantastic
- Can run into problems with a few Android games
- Not friendly to newbies out of the box
NVIDIA Shield TV upgrade is its special tube shape and remote redesign This is a simplified and lightweight streaming system with enhanced processing power that still delivers the best experience you can get on Android TV.
Nvidia Shield TV Pro: A Subtle Revamp
NVIDIA Shield Android TV Pro | 4K HDR Streaming Media Player High Performance, Dolby Vision, 3GB RAM, 2X USB, Works with Alexa
- The Best of the Best. The world's most powerful Android TV streaming media player, thanks to the new NVIDIA Tegra X1+ chip. Enhance HD video in real-time to 4K for clearer, crisper visuals using next-generation AI upscaling. 2x USB 3. 0 ports for storage expansion, USB cameras, keyboards, controllers, and more. Plex Media Server built-in, 3GB RAM, and 16GB storage.
- Dolby Vision - Atmos. Bring your home theater to life with Dolby Vision HDR, and surround sound with Dolby Atmos and Dolby Digital Plus-delivering ultra-vivid picture quality and immersive audio.
- Unlimited Entertainment. Enjoy the most 4K HDR content of any streaming media player, and access to thousands of apps and games, including top apps like Netflix, YouTube, Prime Video, Disney + and Hulu. Add a game controller (sold separately) and play today's most popular games like Fortnite and GeForce Now. Even stream from your phone with built-in Chromecast 4K.
- Best-In-Class Design. Designed for the most demanding users and beautifully designed to be the perfect centerpiece of your entertainment center, SHIELD TV Pro levels you up to more storage space, more RAM, the expandability of 2x USB 3. 0 ports, and Plex Media Server. Get the best connectivity with Gigabit Ethernet, dual-band AC Wi-Fi, and Bluetooth 5. 0. The all-new remote is more advanced than ever with motion-activated, backlit buttons-including a customizable menu button. Plus, with voice control, Bluetooth, IR control for your TV, and a built-in remote control locator, you have the most advanced remote yet.
- Voice Control. The built-in Google Assistant is at your command. See photos, live camera feeds, weather, sports scores, and more on the big screen. Dim the lights and immerse yourself in your favorite show or music using only your voice. And control your SHIELD hands-free with Google Home or Alexa and Echo.
NVIDIA SHIELD TV Pro is the supreme streaming media player - packed with features to make even the most demanding users proud and beautifully designed to be the perfect centerpiece of your entertainment center. Enjoy a cinematic experience with stunning visuals brought to you by Dolby Vision HDR, and immersive audio with Dolby Atmos surround sound. Now powered by the latest NVIDIA Tegra X1+ processor, SHIELD TV is faster, and smarter. Level up to SHIELD TV Pro for more storage space, two USB 3. 0 ports for expandability (storage expansion, usb cameras, usb keyboards and controllers, TV tuners, and more), Plex Media Server, SmartThings hub-ready (just add a SmartThings Link), AAA Android gaming, Twitch broadcasting, and 3GB RAM.
- Same sleek design on the Shield
- Additional RAM, & double the storage on board
- External Storage Can be used through USB Ports
- The one that you want for Plex and Gaming
- Lower internal storage compared with older Pro model
- Costlier than the tube
- Not sufficient new features to justify upgrade
The NVIDIA Shield TV Pro (2019) also looks & performs almost the same as the earlier Shield TV Pro model, that is great news because we enjoyed everything the older Pro model was able to do. Only drawback here is the down graded internal storage.
|Shield TV||Shield TV Pro|
|Storage||8 GB||16 GB|
|Processor||Tegra X1+||Tegra X1+|
|BUY NOW||BUY NOW|
NVIDIA has made things much clearer this time around with a completely redesigned Shield TV that provides a spec boost over the older models in a curvy, sleek tube designed to take up hardly any room behind your screen. Nor is it a stick or a dongle, so it should easily fit between any TV shelf and wall. We assume the Shield TV is the most interesting product which is likely to appeal to more regular users who just want to plug something into their Television and get to watch.
The Pro series, however, has kept the very same edgy look as earlier Shield TV models. It can be programmed for managing smart devices as a SmartThings controller & there are two USB ports for linking external storage, keyboards, or an OTA antenna. It also provides the full array of gaming services & features from NVIDIA alongside 16 GB of internal storage and speed upgrades of up to 3 GB RAM. This is the alternative built for more serious tech enthusiasts who enjoy tinkering and gadget accessorization.
It is worth emphasizing that both versions are still fantastic for gamers & support the entire library of games from NVIDIA’s GeForce NOW service & GameStream, but you may run into some difficulties on the Shield TV (non-pro) trying to run games from the Google Play Store which need 3 GB of RAM. This means you are better off sticking with the Pro model if you wish to download & play games like Doom 3 or Portal right on your Shield TV.
What all can you do with Nvidia Shield TV?
1) Play Your PC Games in a different room
You will need a PC fitted with an NVIDIA GeForce GTX graphics card to use the power of your gaming PC in a different room (e.g. living room). The NVIDIA SHIELD TV and your GeForce GTX compatible gaming PC will then have to be linked to the same network. You can wirelessly link the SHIELD TV to your router though it is recommended to connect via Gigabit Ethernet for the best experience. GameStream supports the 4 K (3840x 2160) and HDR resolutions. You can start configuring GameStream when both your gaming PC and NVIDIA SHIELD TV are linked to the network
You can activate GameStream on your SHIELD TV by following the steps below; download & install GeForce Experience on your GeForce GTX compatible PC. GeForce Experience may be already enabled on your PC if NVIDIA GeForce Graphics Drivers were installed.
- When enabled, open the GeForce Experience and sign in (or create an account if you haven’t already done).
- Then go to Settings-> SHIELD & enable GameStream. This ensures that your PC is GameStreaming ready
- Open NVIDIA Games app on your SHIELD TV & select My Library-> Set up GameStream.
- A prompt log in will appear–only sign in using the same information as used in the GeForce Experience.
2) Play Together Locally
NVIDIA SHIELD TV, along with GameStream, offers multi-controller access to local multiplayer games. SHIELD TV also supports many other non-SHIELD USB or Bluetooth devices, but use of the SHIELD Controller is preferred for the best experience.
3) Smart Home Hub
If you want to use the SHIELD as a smart home unit, the lightweight bundled remote features an embedded microphone that allows Voice Search to communicate quickly with Google Assistant (not yet available in Australia). The lightweight remote control is good for communicating with Google Assistant if you are too far away from the SHIELD TV or do not want to use the game controller. You could ask questions about the weather, monitor the internet (e.g. spotify), order dominos, and more with Google Assistant. You can also track your Nest surveillance cameras and control your smart devices, such as your thermostat, lighting, speakers, and more.
4) Stream Films and TV Online
NVIDIA SHIELD TV allows 4 K HDR video output alongside Dolby Atmos and DTS-X audio output. 4 K HDR video can be used by services such as Netflix and Amazon Prime Video -obviously non-HDR content is also supported. In addition to the above-listed media apps, Google Play Movies & TV, YouTube, Crunchyroll, Sling, etc. are also available alongside local TV streaming services like those of tenplay, 9now, SBSondemand, 7plus, ABCiview, and much more. Note that some local TV networks can include using the built-in Chromecast. YouTube 360-degree views can be viewed and interacted on the NVIDIA SHIELD TV, using the SHIELD Controller.
5) Cast from Your Mobile Devices
Need not to panic if your Android TV does not support a media app, as the NVIDIA SHIELD TV comes with integrated Google Cast Feature. It helps you to watch Cast apps on a large screen from your smartphone or tablet to the SHIELD TV.
NVIDIA SHIELD TV is available in two models–the cheaper version comes with the SHIELD Console and Remote which is ideal for consuming media, while the SHIELD Controller is included in the more expensive option. If you want to take advantage of GameStream, Steam Big Picture, or play any kind of game on the NVIDIA SHIELD TV, then purchase the version that contains the SHIELD Controller. Should you want to diminish the footprint of the NVIDIA SHIELD TV unit, a vertical stand is also available. You will buy additional SHIELD Controllers individually, allowing you to play games with friends and family on the SHIELD TV.
NVIDIA Shield Android TV | 4K HDR Streaming Media Player High Performance, Dolby Vision, Google Assistant Built-in, Works with Alexa, NVIDIA
|Current Price||$149.99||September 21, 2021|
|Highest Price||$149.99||September 4, 2021|
|Lowest Price||$149.99||September 4, 2021|
Last price changes
|$149.99||September 4, 2021|